Re: [Exim] STARTTLS Error

Autor: David Saez Padros
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] STARTTLS Error
Hi !!

> > Ok, but for this to work I need to know every host on the net that has a broken TLS which
> > I don't. I can check the logs every day (or make an automated process that do that) and then
> > mantain a list of that kind of hosts. But, maybe Exim smart enough in the furture to handle
> > this situation and automatically retry without TLS ?
>
> But should it? The host has offered TLS, Exim has tried to use it, and
> received a temporary error code. There is no indication that this is the
> result of a broken server. A temporary code means "try again later".
> Exim has no means of knowing exactly what is wrong (it might be the
> server is closing down for maintainance, for example.) I'm not sure that
> the right thing to do automatically is to send the message unencrypted
> in this circumstance.

Not the first time, it should retry the usual way until it reaches the
maximum retry times, that's when it should (in my opinion) try without TLS.

> If Exim gets a permanent error code (5xx) from a server, however, it
> will try to send the message in clear. This is all documented in section
> 38.2.

Maybe you can think that a temporary error that repeats forever is just
a permanent error.

--
Best regards ...

Math problems? Call 1-800-10*(24+13)-(64-16)/2^14E2.

     David Saez Padros                  e-mail  david@???
     On-Line Services 2000 S.L.
     Trafalgar 78 2º 2ª B               voice   +34 93 315 15 93
     08010 Barcelona (Spain)            movil   +34 670 35 27 53
     http://www.ols.es                  fax     +34 93 268 35 90
     http://www.ols.es/~david/