Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: John W Baxter
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought
At 9:44 +0100 3/26/01, Philip Hazel wrote:
>What I am implementing is "begin" lines without "end" lines. Then you
>don't have to have any code for giving an error if there's junk between
>"end" and "begin", and you don't have to have code for merging.

Sorry, this is very late (I'm catching up from a period of no-time-for-lists).

I like the way this turned out...the potential Exim 4 config file format
makes sense to me.

I would point out that the advocates of an XML-based file can certainly
have it...it "just" needs to be validated and translated to the working
Exim configuration file format. XML and its surrounding tools are quite
good at that sort of process. The XML advocates can do it (I might become
one)...Philip doesn't have to.

[And the working file can--at least optionally--be condensed some, by lack
of a need for comments, if the comments are in the XML...which should
improve performance slightly.]

And no, this doesn't mean I think the sendmail.cf file and its creation by
m4 from incomprehensible source is a good idea.

--John