[Exim] facility to test alias file integrity

Autor: Gary Colman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] facility to test alias file integrity
Hi

Does exim have the facility, or if not (I couldn't find
anything in the docs), does anyone have a script to
parse an aliases file (lsearch-type flat text file)
to test that it isn't blatantly broken (ie. test what can
be tested)?

Assuming not, if I have to write a little perl script,
what do I need to check aside from (and I stand to correction):

every line must be at least of the form:

/^\S+\s*:\s*\S/

unless the line before it ends with: /[,\\]\s*$/
in which case it should be of the form:

/\s*\S/

Must run-on lines start with a TAB ???
Can lines that continue onto a second (or more) line after a newline,
end in a backslash to show run-on status, or is a comma sufficient ?

Any help in this respect would be most appreciated.
Alternatively a point in the right direction in exim source
would help too, although my C is *VERY* rusty.

Many thanks
Gary