Re: [Exim] Exim vs sendmail vs PostFix vs Qmail

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Malcolm Beattie
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: michael
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Exim vs sendmail vs PostFix vs Qmail
michael@??? writes:
> > Brad Knowles reckons he can do a million or so ISP customers on a
> > single bsd box under sendmail with modified (index cache) mbox storage
> > [NB from memory - I think that was in his verbal comments but canot see
> > that in his paper]
>
> I have a few hundred thousand mailboxes per machine, using maildir.

When Brad gave his talk at the UKUUG Enterprise Management conference
in February, I noticed that the figures for "typical ISP mail usage"
were up to an order of magnitude lower than we have here. In other
words, he allowed a tenth of the disk space for the average user and
was seeing about a tenth of the connections that we see (mostly because
he was concentrating on POP, not IMAP). If one can handle one million
users each with 10MB disk usage (20MB or 50MB quota: i.e. 10TB of disk)
and with 100000 concurrent IMAP connections with IMAP logins at the rate
of 1000 per second (multiplying up from our figures here) on a single
BSD box then I'll be both surprised and impressed.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@???>
Unix Systems Programmer