Re: [Exim] Exim vs sendmail vs PostFix vs Qmail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
To: Malcolm Beattie
CC: Vladimir Ivaschenko, Jeremy C. Reed, mAnu, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim vs sendmail vs PostFix vs Qmail
mbeattie@??? said:
> Based on a Linux/390 system I've been testing for the last 6 weeks or
> so, back-of-the-envelope calculations lead me to believe you can
> probably support between 300000 and 3 million users on a single z900
> system.

Not your common or garden server....

My feeling is that the MTA is a relatively small (even insignificant)
part of the overall burden of doing large mail systems. Other
significant issues (off the top of my head) are:-
- back end mail storage
- back end retrieval
- spool (and back end) disk access (filesystem, raid etc)
- user dbs etc
- dns

Brad Knowles reckons he can do a million or so ISP customers on a
single bsd box under sendmail with modified (index cache) mbox storage
[NB from memory - I think that was in his verbal comments but canot see
that in his paper]

    Nigel.