Re: [Exim] Spool write error message in mainlog

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Spool write error message in mainlog
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Andromeda wrote:

> 2001-04-16 03:08:24 14oxV9-000OfW-00 Message abandoned: Spool write error
> (Bad address) while receiving message from (host.name) [ip.address]

This means that there was an error when Exim was trying to write the
message headers to disc. The text inside the parens is supposed to be
the error that occurred, but I've just looked at the code and discovered
that I've screwed up, and probably destroyed the value of errno that was
returned by the I/O function. I'll fix this in the next release.

This suggests that either you have a hardware problem, or the disc is
filling up, or Exim couldn't create a file for some reason, or something
similar.

> Anyway, I'd just like to know what the above means. I doubt it's a problem
> on my side, otherwise ALL other hosts connecting to deliver mail would have
> the same problem.

It shouldn't have lost the message - it should have given a temporary
error code to the remote host, which should have tried again later.

> If it IS a problem on my side, how do I fix it? Phil, any ideas?

If it's just an isolated incident, I wouldn't worry too much. Have a
look and see what that host delivered to you later on - was it a huge
message, for example? Could you disc have filled up?

If this is happening a lot, I suspect a hardware problem, but I'm just
guessing.