Re: [Exim] Two questions (related)

Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Two questions (related)
Jim Knoble rearranged electrons thusly:

> Circa 2001-Apr-05 18:08:59 +0200 dixit Gary Jones:

> : I have two questions, but first a bit of system background info. I am
> : on an intermittent dialup, using POP3 (fectmail) to collect mail. I
> : rewrite the outgoing From using a reqrite rule to lookup the user and
> [...]

> : Secondly, is there a way for exim to force a fetchmail (or some other
> : POP3) connection before it tries to send mail?

> There are two ways that i can think of to accomplish this:

There is another way as well ... if you are on an intermittently connected
dialup (not using dial on demand) put this in your /etc/ppp/ip-up.local (this
is on linux, there might be something different in other unixen)

fetchmail&
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q&

[or try this shell script, modified from a script in the postfix FAQ ...]

#!/bin/sh

# poll the pop server first, for pop b4 smtp -- suresh
fetchmail &
# Start deliveries.
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

# Allow deliveries to start.
sleep 10

# Loop until all messages have been tried at least once.
while mailq | grep '^[^ ]*\*' >/dev/null
do
sleep 10
done

>       file, and then checking for the file in the cron job) to enable
>       or disable the fetchmail when your dialup link goes up or down,
>       respectively.

If you have a dial on demand setup, that is. If not, you needn't run fetchmail
in daemon mode (using -d). The ip-up.local script will call fetchmail as soon
as ppp0 comes up (and you dial into your ISP)

http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html for a (little) more - including configuring
exim for a dialup connected box.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <--> mallet <at> efn <dot> org