RE: [Exim] Backup MX and host_reject issue

Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
A: Juha Saarinen
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Backup MX and host_reject issue
[ On Wednesday, April 4, 2001 at 21:17:15 (+1200), Juha Saarinen wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [Exim] Backup MX and host_reject issue
>
> :: The only way around this is in your DNS. Remove the secondary MX.
> ::
> :: You really do not want it.
>
> Hmmm... OK, I see what you mean, but could I have some second opinions on
> this before deciding?

Sure! Build another machine that's yours alone to control, install it
anywhere in the world you please, and install your mailer and your
mailer configurations on it, and set your DNS to point to it as your
secondary MX. A lowly 386 running most any free unix-like OS should do
the job just fine unless you've either got an awful lot of e-mail to
handle or your primary MX is down too often.

Just be aware that you've now added a new machine and that increases the
number of things you have to keep track of, especially on the security
side of things. You'd probably want to choose the most secure OS that
you're comfortable with using and make sure that if it's installed
remotely that you manage it only with secure protocols (eg. maybe SSH),
and then make doubly sure that it's only running SSH and SMTP (and maybe
it could be one of your additional nameservers too if it's on a
different network branch).

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>