Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc..
"Dave C." <djc@???> probably said:
> I dont want the weaknesses of either model.

Get coding, then.

> Ok, you have 50,000 users popping their mailboxes, how do you distribute
> this to multiple servers?

Firstly I'd avoid NFS like the plague.

The last time I had to build something scalable to solve a similar
problem but with more users I laid it out to be scalable from the
start.

Several back end machines with pop mailboxes on them, mirrored or
RAIDed disk, etc. Each machine had a percentage of the users on them.

Then, several front end machines running pop proxies, behind load
sharing or simple multiple A records.

Links between the front and back end machines are private network.
Initially one switched net, but later scales to multiple interfaces
and multiple networks. Scale limitation is number of interfaces per
front end machine and number of back end machines; but with switched
gig ether and since the traffic is almost completely unicast this
is a reasonble top end.

Clients connect to pop.foo.com, hit the front end machines. The
proxies have either a table or a DB lookup to see which of the back
end servers the mailbox is stored on and proxies the POP request to
that machine. At that point I used simple dbm lookups but these
days I'd be tempted to have redundant LDAP databases or private
DNS lookups.

Support code to migrate users from one back end machine to another can
(fairly crudely) balance load and when the overall load gets too high,
you add more front end/back end machines and migrate users mailboxes
to the new back end machines. Any migration only inconveniences a
small proportion of your users and monitoring to produce statisitics
on which users are producing how much load can make balancing the load
much much easier.

If a front end machine goes down, take it out of your load sharing.
If a back end machine goes down you only inconvenience a proportion of
your users. A hot spare can return this to production fairly quickly
if you have on site people. If you need higher availability then you
can use dual attached disks so two machines can access each chunk of
disk. One machine going down no longer inconveniences any users and
you can load balance more finely between the two machines at the POP
proxies (the proxy code can connect to the lesser loaded machine which
has access to the disk with the user's mailbox).

SMTP mail gets delivered either to the pop front end machines, which
direct it to the appropriate back end machine, or you can use a
seperate set of SMTP servers on the private network scaling as
appropriate.

During a user migration you can queue mail for that user on the SMTP
servers and poke them to deliver it all when the mailbox migration is
done. The POP proxies can deal with the POP hits for the user during
a migration.

Not simple, nor easy to set up initially, but once it's done you
can scale it at any point in the system as it is needed.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???