Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Tom Samplonius
Cc: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc..
Ok, but according to exim's doc, MBX locking doesnt work over NFS..

Argh.. is there no format that doesnt have some major design flaw?!

I need to support a mixed environment - POP, IMAP, webmail.. I need to
be able to distribute load over multiple servers - which unless someone
has a better idea, means NFS.. I need speed and reliability. So far
nothing seems to fit that bill.

I've looked at Cyrus, but there doesnt seem to be any straightforward
documentation on how to set it up (eg, the installtion instructions say
among other things "Ok, now add a user (sic)".. WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION
AS TO EXACTLY HOW TO DO THAT.

I beleive we are agreed that standard unix format is the 'lowest common
denominator', and has the worst performance in any situation..

Im about ready to write my own damn daemon, specify my own new format,
and include a 'deliver' like utility to provide delivery from MTA-land.
Too bad all Im good at coding in is bash.. ;)

Here's a question - is anyone familiar with the 'tenex' mailbox format
that Pine (and presumably c-client) uses?

The pine documentation says to create 'mail.txt' in your homedir, and
when pine starts up, it reads new mail out of your standard berk format
mailbox into this tenex format. I have my personal account on my
personal server set to use that, and it seems to work reasonably well.
(I use only pine, however - no pop or imap ever) I'm fairly certain
UW-imap supports that as well.. For distribution this would require both
/var/spool/mail and the home directories to be NFS mounted on all
relevant machines. I have no idea how well (if) the locking mechanism
works over NFS.