Re: [Exim] virus checking and exim

Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
A: Chris Bayliss
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] virus checking and exim
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Chris Bayliss wrote:

> Be aware that at some point you can't scan and stuff will get through.
> For example password protected zips, securely encrypted email, etc so
> you will never get 100%. Some people quarantine unscannable things, but this
> is labour intensive and an option only if you are awash with staff.

Someday, I guess most virii and other problems will be sent encrypted or
password-protected -- but the end-users will continue to try to open them
without thinking.

> Refusing executables is well worth it. We did an analysis on what was
> caught (see page 18 of
> www.is.bham.ac.uk/publications/bulletin/october00/iscoct.pdf). For a
> University there are a lot of other benefits.

I receive a 404 -- not found.
I believe it is:
http://www.is.bham.ac.uk/publications/bulletin/october00/isboct.pdf

Chris -- can you consider making this page 18 "Virus Filtering at the mail
hubs" available as HTML? It is quite interesting.

  Jeremy C. Reed
     ISP-FAQ.com -- find answers to your questions
     http://www.isp-faq.com/