[Exim] Autoreply which sends no message

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: [Exim] Autoreply which sends no message
Hello,

A quick question for you to think about :-) Without all the gory details
what I require is an autoreply transport which updates the 'log' and 'once'
files, but which does not actually send any message back to the user.

I've had 2 thoughts on this - one is to try and set the sender as being the
'nobody' address, which equates to ditching the message to /dev/null. This
doesn't seem to work because exim remembers the original sender and seems to
send the autoreply to them. Second thought was a transport filter. This
partly works - in as much as the log and once files are updated - but the
message still gets sent back to the sender. I've tried things like:

transport_filter = /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/cat - >/dev/null"

Whilst this may well filter out the original message, it includes the 'this
is a copy of the message including all headers' bit - I assume hardcoded in
Exim.

The transport filter actually does a bit more:

transport_filter = /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/cat - >/dev/null && /usr/bin/touch
/tmp/jhf"

This is because I need a file touched whenever the transport runs. Unsetting
the 'return_message' option means that no message is sent, but then the
transport_filter isn't run (sigh). Using 'body_only' or 'headers_only'
doesn't do it either - I end up with a blank message or just the 'this is a
copy...' bit.

Anyone done this before or have any ideas?

Thanks,

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???