Re: [Exim] Suggestions for new version

Inizio della pagina
Autore: David Saez Padros
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] Suggestions for new version
Hi !!

> (1) Exim currently gives a 4xx response if the callback times out. If o=

ther
> MTAs do not retry after this response, that is their problem, not mine.=

> (In Exim 4, the response will be after the first RCPT; perhaps they wil=

> behave better on that.)

I had problems with some mailers (IMail v6.05) which failed to send the m=
essage
after 12 tries. This is very strange as I only get one try on my logs and=
the
time between the message was written adn the time of the fail it was only=
few hours. The fact is that makes my server to refuse emails from valid a=
drresses
which in unacceptable for my clients. I had to deactivate it to stop comp=
lains
from my customers but I would like to have it activated in a way that doe=
s not
compromise email reability because it filters a lot of spam.

> (2) "Noted" means "I'll think about it". As it happens, I was thinking
> about this stuff for Exim 4 today. It seems to me not be be a very good=

> idea because once the spammers discover this, all they have to do is to=

> set a return address that resolves to a domain that times out.

If you make this an option it will be a matter of choice, like other opti=
ons =

related to checks, you can refuse it or you can simply accept the email a=
nd =

log the fact that the server times out, then you can check the logs to se=
which servers timeout everytime and configure exim to simply reject email=

from that servers. Spammers will always find a way to spam but it's not =

necessary to harden email servers in a way that can compromise the user's=

need for a fast a reliable email server.

--
Thanx & best regards ...

     David Saez Padros                  e-mail  david@???
     On-Line Services 2000 S.L.         =

     Trafalgar 78 2=BA 2=AA B               voice   +34 93 315 15 93
     08010 Barcelona (Spain)            movil   +34 670 35 27 53      =

     http://www.ols.es                  fax     +34 93 268 35 90
     http://www.ols.es/~david/   =