Re: [Exim] deferring messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: alexpro
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] deferring messages
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Alexey Promokhov wrote:

> Some entries in my alias file are pointing to foreign domains, for example:
>
> username@???: somelocaluser
>
> I have the following router to catch them:
>
> isalias:
> driver=domainlist
> condition=${lookup {$local_part@$domain} lsearch {/etc/aliases} {$value}}
> route_list=* localhost byname
> self=local
>
> All works. But when a message for username@??? arrives, and
> retry time for foreigndomain.ru not reached, this message is deferred.
>
> Can I set up a list of addresses, mail to which will not defer with reason
> "Retry time not reached"?

I'm afraid not. However, the delay you are experiencing should happen
only for a *routing* delay - i.e. there was a problem in routing to the
foreign domain (DNS timeout or whatever). It should not happen for a
delivery delay (connection timeout).

This problem should not arise in Exim 4 (but that is many months away
still). In the meantime, the best you could do would be to set a short
retry time for that domain.