Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Marc Haber wrote:

> I would like to see it this way. Maybe with the possibility of having
> stuff like
>
> begin transports
>    <snip>
> end transports

> begin acl
> <snip>
> end acl
>
> begin transports
> <snip>
> end transports
>
> So, if a section is given multiple times, the contents of the multiple
> section is merged.

I do not like this idea because it just complication. Exim reads its
configuration file very often. I want to keep the code fast and simple.

Also, I suspect people would be confused by merging (they would add
something, forgetting about the previous section).

What I am implementing is "begin" lines without "end" lines. Then you
don't have to have any code for giving an error if there's junk between
"end" and "begin", and you don't have to have code for merging.