RE: [Exim] Access denied error and retries

Author: Jonnie
To: exim-list
Subject: RE: [Exim] Access denied error and retries
We've recently suffered large from remote hosts which
(a) won't take no for an answer
     ie frequently reattempt after a 550

(b) immediately reattempt after a temporary failure - often provoking the same failure in a tight loop

is it the case that a MTA MUST consider 5xx codes "permanent" ?,
human intervention is _recommended_ in order to reattempt (deliveries) in the face of one,
but the rfcs do give example of reattempts in the same SMTP session, eg "Too Many Recipients Scenario" on pp63 of rfc 821

Obviously, we'd like to have clearly temporary and permanent error classes

(RTFRFC ?)

from rfc821 :

            5yz   Permanent Negative Completion reply

               The command was not accepted and the requested action did
               not occur.  The sender-SMTP is discouraged from repeating
               the exact request (in the same sequence).  Even some
               "permanent" error conditions can be corrected, so the
               human user may want to direct the sender-SMTP to
               reinitiate the command sequence by direct action at some
               point in the future (e.g., after the spelling has been
               changed, or the user has altered the account status).

--
Jonathan Kyme
jrk@???