Re: [Exim] Relaying from non-local hosts

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Relaying from non-local hosts
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:42:37 +1100, Martin Smith <martin@???>
wrote:
>We currently have a setup where exim relays mail for hosts local to our
>domain, and denies anyone else. We are increasingly finding that users with
>home connections are wanting to be able to send mail from our server, but
>exim is restricting the relaying from outside.

This is good behavior.

>The problem is that the users are coming in on dynamically assigned IP
>addresses from various ISPS.

Your users should use that ISP's smarthost.

>We need to allow relaying from any host (eek i
>hear you say) but only if they authenticate with a valid username and
>password [preferably from the /etc/hosts file].

Search the docs for "SMTP authentication".

Be aware that you'll have to pay for these user's email traffic three
times - once to the dial-in ISP when it is sent, once to your ISP for
the incoming traffic, and a third time when the mail goes out to the
final recipient.

Greetings
Marc