Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought

Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
A: Jeffrey C. Ollie
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 config file: opinions sought
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:

> The benefits of using a system like XML are many. Some of the benefits:
>
> o the ability to verify the correctness of config files using external tools

With a syntax like XML, correctness needs to be verified.
Unless you count syntax errors, about the only thing that could
be incorrect with the current config is stuff in the wrong section.

I'm not convinced that verified correctness really helps.
The usual problem isn't that the config file is "incorrect",
but that it doesn't do what I want it to do.
I can (mostly) verify correctness myself; with a syntax like XML
I'd need a tool to verify it, which would get in the way of
my making it do what I want.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna