[Exim] Access denied error and retries

Autor: Darren Mackay - Lists
A: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re: [Exim] Relaying from non-local hosts
Assumpte: [Exim] Access denied error and retries
Hi,

After checking the exim logs I notices that outbound mail to one particular
host (a teir 1 ISP here in australia), the following error is logged (muli
line for readability).

SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
host XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:
500 access denied; too many concurrent connections

I know this error is pretty self explanatory, however the time stamps on the
log indicate that exim it attempting delivery every 10 to 20 secs until
delivery is complete. The logs indicate that usually 3 to 5 attempts are
needed during peak periods, which is around lunchtime. This particular is
the first of 2 smarthost we send outbound mail to.

Can someone explain why exim will keep attempting delivery via this
smarthost instead of attempting delivery via the second smarthost on the
route list? (the 2nd smarthost is via another gateway, and we have tested
delivery via the 2nd smarthost to ensure that outbound mail will be
delivered if DSL link is down).

We are using exim 3.13.

Thanks,

Darren Mackay