Re: [Exim] Peculiar address in From: field

Author: sam rosenfeld
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Peculiar address in From: field

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> *[sam rosenfeld on Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 03:53:34PM -0500]:
>
> >My mail system (exim+mutt or exim+pine) finds a fixed entry for "From:"
> >that is definitely not my address. It is, however, an address I have sent
> >mail to from time to time. I cannot find the false address in any of my
> >mail-oriented configuration files. Any suggestions about where to look?
>
> Your /etc/hosts maybe, and your login name?

My /etc/hosts is as vanilla as the osmonds, and my login name is the same
one I've used for quite a while.

BTW, I should have mentioned that the From field consists of
"my_user_name@peculiar_domain", that is, sam@peculiar_domain. And another
possible clue is that, in Pine, two lines of "From:" are sent: my actual
address "sam@???" and the peculiar address "sam@peculiar_domain". As
far as I can tell, the actual string (which I represent as
"peculiar_domain") does not appear in any file of any kind except for its
inclusion in 10 or so emails. Although I've looked through exim.conf for
some hint of a possible call of a file which might contain
"peculiar_domain", I couldn't find any plausible entry. But, perhaps some
more experienced user could suggest something I've overlooked in exim.

s.