Re: [Exim] system alias to pipe

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Dee Jay Randall
CC: Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] system alias to pipe
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Dee Jay Randall wrote:

> I want to set up a system alias that pipes the message to a
> command. How do I do this?
>
> I've stuck the following in my /etc/exim.conf
>
> > mycommand_aliases:
> > user = nobody
> > group = nogroup
> > driver = aliasfile
> > file_transport = address_file
> > pipe_transport = address_pipe
> > file = /etc/aliases.mycommand
> > search_type = lsearch
>

> After restarting exim (running in daemon mode), when I send
> a message to the alias, I get a paniclog entry "Neither the
> system_aliases director nor the address_pipe transport set a
> uid for local delivery of | command".

What output do you get from "exim -bt the.test@ddress"? Use -d2 (or
higher) on that command to find out which director is being used. Is it
the correct one? (The answer is "no" because your error message mentions
the system_aliases director, not "mycommand_aliases".)

Your question shows some confusion, because you mention "system
aliases", and yet you have a different director. What is in
/etc/aliases.mycommand? It should be a second alias file, e.g. lines
like

the.alias:    |/some/command

but I have a suspicion it might be the command itself. If it is the
command itself, you need, in /etc/aliases

the.alias:    /etc/aliases.mycommand

and then you need to put pipe_transport, user, and group on the
system_aliases director. You do not need this additional director.