Re: [Exim] large scale exim/mail system

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: michael
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] large scale exim/mail system
michael@??? said:
> I tried a RAM disk for the hints databases and under high load, it
> helps a lot to reduce mail latency. Once Linux tmpfs becomes stable
> (ramfs is _not_ up to the job), it will certainly be an option to
> consider.

Hints stuff are not really widely used unless you have messages
failing... however they do have the advantage that they can be put on
volatile storage.

My personal hope for future high performance is a journalling
filesystem capable of doing data journalling (not just metadata) such
as ext3, but with the ability to move the journal to a separate device
- specifically a NVRAM disk. With this sort of configuration and the
exim transit spool on that device, the vast majority of transactions on
a mail server would never actually hit the spinning rust since the
message would move off the queue before the journal gets flushed down
to disk.

Current status is that this could be done in theory but that ext3
doesn't have finally tested support for separated journals.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]
[ Phone: +44 1423 850000                           Fax +44 1423 858866 ]