[Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vacatio…

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users
New-Topics: RE: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vacatio
Subject: [Exim] problem with non printable characters and the vacation responder
Mail to one of our users is bouncing with:

Expansion of "Re: $h_subject (autoreply)" in vacation_reply transport contains non-printing character 10

I do understand what's happening and I added
print_topbitchars = true
to exim.conf

This will hopefully take care of the problem.

I'm not quite sure why print_topbitchars isn't a default in this case since
mime, or no mime, it's quite common to see accentuated characters in Email
in raw 8 bit ascii, but my concern is more:
Could the error message appear in the subject line of the autorespond
message instead of failing the vacation transport and bouncing the mail?

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key