Re: [Exim] Exim 4: Opinion wanted on file checking

Author: Bob Franklin
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4: Opinion wanted on file checking
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> In Exim 3, the require_files option has the feature where you can
> specify a user name, and it does the stat() as that user.[1] For example,
>
> require_files = $local_part : /home/$local_part/.procmailrc

> My own feeling is that we probably no longer need this, but you may
> disagree...

Certainly our current configuration, checking for forward files and so on,
accesses home directories via NFS with root-squash enabled, so without
this option, our current mechanism wouldn't work.

I suppose the simplest way round it would be to disable root-squash
(removing what little protection it offers).

Building a database of this [as someone suggested] isn't really practical
with ~22,000 accounts, over about 60 filesystems.

However, from our point of view, this isn't a problem, in the medium term,
as we're planning to move our forwarding information from files in the
user's home directories to a database file of some sort, to remove the
dependancy of the mail system on home directories. I guess other people
may be doing it the way we currently do, though.

- Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@???>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK