Re: [Exim] Format error in spool file

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ray Miller
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Format error in spool file
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Ray Miller wrote:

> I've been investigating a problem with "Format error in spool file"
> that occurred on one of our systems earlier today. I'm able to
> reproduce this as follows:

So am I. Thanks for the clear example.

> $ cat <<EOT | exim -N -t
> From: Ray Miller <ray.miller@???>
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:44:23 +0000 (GMT)
> To: XXXX YYYYY ZZZZZZZZZ <"/dd.NOTES=CN$=XXXX YYYY
>     ZZZZZZZZZ$/O$=EWS$/C$=IT@EYI-EMEA/"@nowhere.com>
> Subject: Test

The problem is the newline character in the middle of the local part
of the address.

> Is this a bug in exim or does the problem lie elsewhere?

It's a bug in Exim. I've added it to the bug list. Is it causing you
serious pain? It doesn't seem to me to warrant emergency action. I'm
planning on a bug-fixing session in month or two, to produce a "final"
Exim 3 release.