[Exim] Exim routing

Author: Darren Mackay - Lists
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim routing
Hi All,

Can someone confirm which of the following is correct / better please?

1. separate lines for

  route_list = "* mailhub-1.isp-1.com bydns_a; \
                * mailhub-2.isp-2.com bydns_a"

2. same line

route_list = "* mailhub-1.isp-1.com:mailhub-2.isp-2.com bydns_a"

Essentially, I would like to route all mail by the preferred smarthost. In
the event of this primary smarthost being unavailable, I would like exim to
router all outbound mail to a 2nd smarthost (at a different ISP, on a slower
link).

Eventually, I would like to attempt direct delivery from exim through a DSL
link. In the event that the DSL link is down (or a message cannot be
delivered in say 60 mins), I would then like to route mail through a
smarthost at the 2nd ISP. It appears that I can fail mail on a mail router
through a timeout of some sort. Is this possible? If so, can someone point
me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Mackay