Re: [Exim] large scale exim/mail system

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Yann Golanski
A: Philipp Gimm
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] large scale exim/mail system
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:24:46AM +0100, Philipp Gimm wrote:
> Anyways:
> We have to get a mail environment up and running ASAP.
>
>     * currently 600.000 emails per day
>     * 200.000 users/email addresses, single domain environment
>     * the system must be scalable to support 800.000 users
>     * authentication/lookup via some sort of db (not decided which yet)

> - I personally feel Exim to be the right decision on the SMTP side of
> things.
> - I don't really feel comfortable with the POP3 side yet. Qpopper? Is
> Qpopper LX really that much better? However, Qpopper is the only POP3 server
> I can *really* talk about...

Right, as an ex-Energis Squared (aka Planet Online) mailmaster, I know a
fair bit. E**2 does all the technical stuff for freeserve for example.

Exim is IO limited, so get some 2 gigs RAM disks. They cost about £5k
each, but that's about the price of a compac server. However, the
preformace of exim increases by a factor or 4-5. Thus you are effectivly
saving money.

NetApp does a good storage facility, but it's expensvie -- but worth it!
NFS works well, so have whatever storage you install use that.

Make sure you use maildirs and nhash for your mailboxes deliveries.

If you want more info, there is a white paper I wrote about E**2's mail
system availabel at www.kierun.org/academic/ under the title "The Exim
Mail Transfer Agent in a Large Scale Deployment".

Hope that helps.

--
                         www.kierun.org
Yann@???                                Use Pretty Good Privacy.