[Exim] help with mail loop desired

Author: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc & Shire.Net LLC
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] help with mail loop desired
Hi All

I have an exim machine running with

local_domains = foo.shire.net:bar.shire.net

relay_domains = foobar.domain

I do not control foobar.domain but am acting as a backup mx for them.

My machines lited in local are actually both the same machine physically
with different IP addresses (for historical reasons when two machines were
combined). For some reason, the mx listings for the foobar.domain that I
am backing up was recently changed to list both of my machines above so:

foobar.domain preference = 90, mail exchanger = foo.shire.net
foobar.domain preference = 100, mail exchanger = bar.shire.net
foobar.domain preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail1.foobar.domain

Since I do not control it I don't know when it happened or why, and the
technical guy at foobar.domain is out today. Their main mta is down and my
machines are rejecting mail to them with a mail loop since my machine tries
to talk to itself under the other name as the next highest mx record and
this goes on and on until it decides there is a mail loop.

Is there anything I can do to my exim (2.04 due to be upgraded to the most
recent very soon when some tests are completed in our setup) to short
circuit this mx loop so that it doesn't keep trying to pass it pu and it
recognizes that it is really the same machine? local_domains is set for
both of the incarnations.

I also asked the foobar.domain people to remove one of my machines from
their mx records but until that happens and it propogates I would like to
do something if I can to help these people.

Thanks
Chad

Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
Web and Macintosh Consulting -- full service web hosting
Chad Leigh
chad@???            chad@???