Re: [Exim] Sendmail compatibility

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
Para: alexpro
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Sendmail compatibility
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Alexey Promokhov wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > > I'm now trying to install FidoGate. It starts Sendmail as
> > >
> > > sendmail -fusername@domain
> > I would be extremely surprised if that worked with real sendmail. I don't
> > have a copy around the test with.
> >
> > What is that call to sendmail supposed to be doing? If it is to read a
> > particular message, then there is a missing -t option.

> I've just installed Sendmail only for test, without configuring. Command
> 'sendmail' without arguments wrotes 'Recipient address is missing" or
> something like, but it READS a message from stdin and tryes to deliver it.

OK. So that is what you want it to do. If it is supposed to get the
addresses to which it is to deliver from the message in stdin, you should
use the -t option. That will eliminate the error message in the log with
real sendmail, and while get sendmail drop-in's like exim to work.

It appears that there is an undocumented feature of sendmail which treats
the particular command-line syntax error as an implicit use of "-t".
Should that "feature" be added to exim for compatibility?

Basically, FidoGate is calling sendmail wrong. But sendmail is tolerating
that incorrect call, while exim isn't. FidoGate is what needs to be
fixed.

> As I understand, it deliver a message to address specified in To: header. I
> looked in Areafix script contiributed with ifmail package, it also assumes
> Sendmail, and it executes Sendmail without any arguments, only with stdin
> redirection.

Unless sendmail since I have used it, the command line directive to get it
to read info from the headers is the -t option. Even sendmail is giving
you an error message in its logs.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg