Re: [Exim] Maillist problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeff
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Maillist problem
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Jeff wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a mailing list that will remove the read receipts from
> message but my configuration seems to be ignoring the headers_remove option
> (and headers_add if I put it in).

> lists:
> driver = forwardfile
> domains = fred.org
> local_parts = testlist:admin
> require_files = /home/fred/lists/$local_part
> senders = /home/fred/lists/$local_part
> file = /home/fred/lists/$local_part
> headers_remove =
> "return-receipt-to:acknowledge-to:disposition-notification-to:x-priority"
> no_check_local_user
> forbid_pipe
> forbid_file
> forbid_include
> forbid_filter_logwrite
> forbid_filter_reply
> one_time
> skip_syntax_errors
> syntax_errors_to = postmaster@???
> errors_to = postmaster@???

I realized only recently that headers_{remove,add} and one_time are
incompatible options. The reason is that if a delivery does not happen,
the one_time option adds the address to the top-level addresses in the
message. At the next delivery, it won't go through this director again,
and so won't be affected by headers_{remove,add}. This is a classic case
of two different features being added to a program which each work
fine separately, but don't work together - and the programmer doesn't
notice till it's too late. I don't know of any way round this problem.

Deliveries that do happen first time should be as you expect. If they
aren't, try a test with -d9 to see if it gives any clues.