Re: [Exim] Classic lock file hitching post problem

Autor: Sheldon Hearn
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Classic lock file hitching post problem

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:11:14 GMT, Philip Hazel wrote:

> In other words, you are looking at the wrong transport. I bet you've
> forgotten to put group=mail on the address_file transport.

Philip, you beaut! :-)

Spot on.

This user doesn't have a home directory, only an entry in /etc/aliases:

    arbuser:    /var/mail/arbuser

The reason I did this was that Exim didn't like delivering to a user
without a home directory:

    2001-02-05 19:45:25 14Pphc-000HCz-00 == arbuser@??? D=userforward defer (-1): failed to stat /nonexistent (No such file or directory)

Using /nonexistent as a home directory for users who aren't allowed
shell sessions is quite normal in the BSD environment.

However, even with ``group = mail'' in the address_file transport, I
still get the hitching post permissions problem, which stumps me. If I
make the /var/mail directory world-writable, arbuser's mailbox is
created by user nobody, group nobody!

So I've relented and created an empty home directory for the user and
removed her entry from /etc/aliases.

If you could tell me how to go back to using no home directory, that'd
be great, but I can live with what I have now.

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.