Re: [Exim] [OT] Global timezone map

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] [OT] Global timezone map
Quoth John Horne on Tue, Feb 27, 2001:
> One of our managers received a message with the PST (I think) timezone
> abbreviation. He then asked one of the postmasters what the GMT offset of
> PST was (not knowing where PST was either). Well we knew that PST was the
> Pacific timezone and so took a stab at the west coast of the USA (which
> seems to be about right). As to the GMT offset we had to resort to my little
> diary which has a small map in it! The offset is about -8 hours.

sashimi:/usr/src/share/zoneinfo!9% TZ=America/Los_Angeles date
Wed Feb 28 01:13:14 PST 2001
sashimi:/usr/src/share/zoneinfo!9% TZ=Europe/London date
Wed Feb 28 09:13:15 GMT 2001

The problem with abbreviated timezone name is that they're
ambiguous. Irish Summer Time, Israel Standard Time and India
Standard Time have the same acronym. Same with one US and *two*
Australian timezones named EST (maybe there's more).

> I thought it would have been handy to have a small map of the world with
> timezone abbreviations on it.

Do you know how many timezones there are? And just try to mark
Gaza on a world map with something like "Gaza
EET(+02:00)/EEST(+03:00)". And timezones are changing all the
time.

> So, does anyone know where this info may be?

Nowhere. Well, you won't find a reliable one.

Vadik.

--
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.