Re: [Exim] Emulate Sendmails Virtual Domain

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Gordon McKee
CC: Exim-Users@Exim. Org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Emulate Sendmails Virtual Domain
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Gordon McKee wrote:

> Is it possible to emulate sendmail virtual domain in exim3.20. I could put
> them all in as rewrite rules, but there must be a more elegant way of doing
> it.

Using rewriting for routing is a Sendmail paradigm. It is not Exim's
way.

I don't know how Sendmail does virtual domains, not having been near it
for a decade, but the usual way to do them in Exim is by alias lists.
There are examples in the manual and in the sample configurations.
Typically, for each virtual domain, you have a file with a list of local
parts in that domain and the real addresses to send messages on to.

> Also, can you put a catchall in, and still get an error sent to the sender?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean "if unknown local part, deliver to
this address AND send a message to sender"? That can be done using an
autoreply transport with "unseen", or a filter can be used.