Re: [Exim] Can I use ${perl{...}} in local_domains somehow ?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Peter Galbavy
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Can I use ${perl{...}} in local_domains somehow ?
On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> To follow up my own post, I have now created an "expand" lookup type type
> appears to do the right thing in local_domains. Assuming it can do the same
> for "query = expand..." sections in directors then I will be a happy camper.
>
> I now am testing:
>
>     local_domains = expand;${perl{local_domains}{$key}}

> The code is very simply a slightly modified testdb lookup, with an
> "expand_string()" replacing the FAIL/DEFER checks.

What do you actually want to do? Do you want to

(a) Expand the text of local_domains so that it is a different list
every time?
(b) Run a perl program that says "yes this is a local domain"?

These are very different things. In (a) the Perl program returns a list
of local domains to be checked; in (b) as long as it succeeds the domain
is considered local.

> Phil, can this please go on the wish list if there is no other/better way to
> do this ? I have no idea what the performance will be like until the rest of
> the framework is built for our new system and testing can happen, but our
> reason behind all this is to hide all the backend "provisioning" database in
> a perl API.

It could go on a wish list, but I'd like to know exactly what the
real underlying requirement is first. [In Exim 4, for those that have
been following, there will be no inbuilt concept of "local domains", but
there will still be domain lists, of course.]