Re: Fw: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bou…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Marc Sherman
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Fw: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce messages)?
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Marc Sherman wrote:

> From: "Dave C." <djc@???>
> > >
> > > The reason why: I'm my own mail server on my ADSL-connected
> > > machine, with a dynamic DNS. My ISP's IPs (or at least some of
> > > them) are on the MAPS DUL, so I need to use my ISP as a smarthost
> > > to get my mail delivered consistantly. However, my ISPs SMTP server
> > > is rejecting my bounce messages -- I think they must reject all
> > > outgoing mail with envelope-from:<>. So if I send bounces directly,
> > > at least some of my bounces will get through.
> >
> > They are wrong. SMTP-receivers MUST accept MAIL FROM:<>
> >
> > Send them a copy of applicable RFC and harass them until they correct
> > their problem. Dont mention you are running servers or whatever.. It has
> > nothing to do with the problem. (Well, in your case it does, but they are
> > broken irresepective of anything you are doing)
>
> But there's nothing in the RFC about them relaying mail from: <>.
> Mail sent from my account on the ISP to a bouncing address on my
> machine bounces just fine; when mail sent from a third machine to
> the bouncing account on my machine, the bounce from my machine is
> rejected as an illegal relay by my ISP (the smarthost).
>
> Since this is only an issue with relaying, and only servers will
> generate mail from <>, anyone in the ISP's tech support department
> capable of helping me will also see what I'm doing and refuse to. :/

Er, relay control should be either by IP address, or if not possible then
by POP/before/SMTP or SMTP AUTH.

If you are allowed to relay through that server, the envelope sender you
use shouldnt matter, as long as it is syntatically correct. This should
include either localpart at a correct and valid domain, or the null
sender. Them rejecting the null envelope sender is improper, regardless of
any relaying issues.