Re: [Exim] failed to get write lock

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Todd Jagger
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] failed to get write lock
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Todd Jagger wrote:

> # /usr/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /usr/exim/spool wait-remote_smtp
> Exim wait-remote_smtp database in spool /usr/exim/spool
> Failed to get write lock for
> /usr/exim/spool/db/wait-remote_smtp.lockfile: timed out

*Some* process has the file /usr/exim/spool/db/wait-remote_smtp.lockfile
open and locked. Does your operating system have tools for finding
processes that have certain files open? There are such things, but I
forget the command names. It would be of interest to know what was
holding it open for such a long time, because Exim should only lock it
very briefly.

If you can't find out what's holding it open, you could try removing it.
Exim will create a new one, which will be a different file.

[On the matter of tidying and file sizes: whether the file shrinks or
not is a function of your DBM library. I think most of them do not
shrink the files - but they do re-use the space.]