Fw: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce …

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Fw: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce messages)?
From: "Dave C." <djc@???>

> > The reason why: I'm my own mail server on my ADSL-connected
> > machine, with a dynamic DNS. My ISP's IPs (or at least some of
> > them) are on the MAPS DUL, so I need to use my ISP as a smarthost
> > to get my mail delivered consistantly. However, my ISPs SMTP server
> > is rejecting my bounce messages -- I think they must reject all
> > outgoing mail with envelope-from:<>. So if I send bounces directly,
> > at least some of my bounces will get through.
>
> They are wrong. SMTP-receivers MUST accept MAIL FROM:<>
>
> Send them a copy of applicable RFC and harass them until they correct
> their problem. Dont mention you are running servers or whatever.. It has
> nothing to do with the problem. (Well, in your case it does, but they are
> broken irresepective of anything you are doing)

But there's nothing in the RFC about them relaying mail from: <>.
Mail sent from my account on the ISP to a bouncing address on my
machine bounces just fine; when mail sent from a third machine to
the bouncing account on my machine, the bounce from my machine is
rejected as an illegal relay by my ISP (the smarthost).

Since this is only an issue with relaying, and only servers will
generate mail from <>, anyone in the ISP's tech support department
capable of helping me will also see what I'm doing and refuse to. :/

- Marc