Re: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce …

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dave C.
Aan: Marc Sherman
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce messages)?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Is it possible to configure exim so that most messages are sent
> via a smarthost, but some messages (specifically, bounce messages
> generate by my system) are sent directly?
>
> I've looked through the FAQ and docs, and I think that I need to
> set up something like in http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#TOC66 , but
> I'm not sure exactly how to configure it.
>
> The reason why: I'm my own mail server on my ADSL-connected
> machine, with a dynamic DNS. My ISP's IPs (or at least some of
> them) are on the MAPS DUL, so I need to use my ISP as a smarthost
> to get my mail delivered consistantly. However, my ISPs SMTP server
> is rejecting my bounce messages -- I think they must reject all
> outgoing mail with envelope-from:<>. So if I send bounces directly,
> at least some of my bounces will get through.

They are wrong. SMTP-receivers MUST accept MAIL FROM:<>

Send them a copy of applicable RFC and harass them until they correct
their problem. Dont mention you are running servers or whatever.. It has
nothing to do with the problem. (Well, in your case it does, but they are
broken irresepective of anything you are doing)