Re: [Exim] port number logging in received lines

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Jim Knoble
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] port number logging in received lines
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jim Knoble wrote:

> Okay ... i have a solution:
>
>   (1) Use parentheses '(' and ')' to delimit the port number from a
>       host address or name.  The has the following advantages over any
>       other proposed solution thus far:

Yes, that's not a bad idea at all. Even [1.2.3.4(2345)] doesn't look too
bad. The only disadvantage I see is that you'd have to quote them in
shell commands such as

exim -bh '1.2.3.4(2345)'

but people are used to shell quoting, and you don't run those commands
all that often.

>   (3) Recruit someone to write a standards-track RFC explaining why
>       everyone should this syntax for referring to
>       IP-address+port-number pairs.

Nice idea. Who on this list knows about writing RFCs? It's your idea -
are you volunteering? (He said, hopefully.)