Re: [Exim] port number logging in received lines

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Tabor J. Wells
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] port number logging in received lines
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> Personally I'd prefer "p=#" in the received lines and 'exim -bh 1.2.3.4
> 1222' as the optional command line argument.

The problem with

exim -bh 1.2.3.4 1222

and

exim ... -oMa 1.2.3.4 1222

is that other command-line options may follow. It may be ambiguous as to
whether the 1222 is the port or another option. Actually in the second
case, the command

exim -oMa 1.2.3.4 1222

is currently perfectly legal. It means "take a message for the local
user whose login id is '1222', and pretend the message came from
1.2.3.4".

So I don't think I can do that.

For recording addresses, note that it isn't only the received lines,
it's also the <= and => lines in the log, and other log lines where host
addresses are mentioned (e.g. entries in the reject log). Tacking the
port onto the IP address somehow (after all, they are really two parts
of the same piece of information) is a clean way to solve all these
problems.