Re: [Exim] NTLM

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: eichin
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] NTLM
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 eichin@??? wrote:

> First, I made a change to the sources that made the separator for
> "server_prompts" a semicolon instead of a colon.

No need. This setting will do what you want:

server_prompts = Username:: : Password::

Or even

server_prompts = <; Username: ; Password:

> Lastly, while I was working out these difficulties, I noticed that
> Outlook would respond faithfully to an offer of "250 AUTH NTLM", with
> "AUTH NTLM". I'd send "334", and get back "NTLMSSP" base-64 encoded. So
> I poked around the 'net for information on this acronym.

I have not previously heard of the NTLM authentication method. If there
is a specification for it, I will take a look at at and consider whether
it could be added to Exim at some point. If there is no specification
for it, there is not much I can do.

> allow fairly secure mail transport from Windows clients to exim (eg, the
> mail itself will be encrypted during the transfer).

Encrypted transfer and authentication are independent. Exim (from
release 3.20) supports the standard STARTTLS mechanism for encrypted
transfer.