Re: [Exim] Getting lists of users from odd databases?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Yann Golanski
Para: D.M.Chapman
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Getting lists of users from odd databases?
On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:14:17PM +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:
> Most use imap. Unfortunatly, this is not an option as we deliver users
> to a number of machines that are run by depts - we have no access or control
> of these machines.

Yes, I remember that set up and used to love it! *grin*

> This is why I want to query the db directly. It is upto date and has enough
> info to allow us to select on whatever group we want (year, course, dept,
> faculty etc etc)

Do a small perl/python script to build your mailman aliases from it once
a week or something liek that. That should work well.

> Dumping the data to a series of mail lists seems to be unecessary duplication
> of data. Using the live data gets around all of these problems is only I
> could work out how to do it :-) The idea of using the suffix of the email
> addr to create a simple query would be icing on the cake. Exim seems
> to have had an answer for everything I have wanted so far - surely I
> can't have beaten it can I? ;-)

Not really duplication. One tool for one job really.

Otherwise, you *could* set up directors that would querry the database
for all emails that match a certain localpart, but that would be ugly.

> > How about creating news groups that students can post/read?
> The already do have. However, they "are too complicated to use" and
> "nobody will read them" apparantly :-(

*sigh* ... manglement.

> > > Senior Computing Officer
> > > University of Kent
> > Hey, that's my old Uni!
> Cool! How long ago?

1991->1994, astrophysics. Are Raven and Rook still alive?

--
                         www.kierun.org
Yann@???                                Use Pretty Good Privacy.