Re: [Exim] Exim usage dependent on time of day

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Alain Williams
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Alain Williams, exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Exim usage dependent on time of day
On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:25:48AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > Hmm, looks as if I have misunderstood. Basically what I want to do is to have Exim work
> > harder to push mail out of the door at night than I want to do during the day, and
> > changing the number of queue runners seem(ed) like a good way of doing that.
>
> That only makes sense if you are starting queue runners frequently (say
> every minute) and using queue_only to prevent immediate delivery.
>
> But why do you want to do this? Wouldn't a better strategy be to set
> queue_only_load to some value that stops Exim delivering mail when the
> machine is busy, whether it is day or night? What's the point in slowing
> it down if the machine is empty?

The point is that the limited resource is the network bandwidth from the site, not
the load on the machine (which does nothing else than mail delivery).

> But, for myself, I'm not very convinced about the usefulness of
> artificial barriers like this. I think it's better to control on real
> feedback such as the system load.

The trouble is that everyone wants something different.

--
Alain Williams