Re: [Exim] Exim usage dependent on time of day

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alain Williams
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim usage dependent on time of day
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Alain Williams wrote:

> Hmm, looks as if I have misunderstood. Basically what I want to do is to have Exim work
> harder to push mail out of the door at night than I want to do during the day, and
> changing the number of queue runners seem(ed) like a good way of doing that.

That only makes sense if you are starting queue runners frequently (say
every minute) and using queue_only to prevent immediate delivery.

But why do you want to do this? Wouldn't a better strategy be to set
queue_only_load to some value that stops Exim delivering mail when the
machine is busy, whether it is day or night? What's the point in slowing
it down if the machine is empty?

Another way you could do this sort of thing would be to set fairly large
retry times (so retries don't happen very often), and then set up a cron
job to run "exim -qf" several times in the night.

But, for myself, I'm not very convinced about the usefulness of
artificial barriers like this. I think it's better to control on real
feedback such as the system load.