Re: [Exim] Is it me...?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Is it me...?
Quoth Paul Robinson on Tue, Feb 13, 2001:
> Also, I don't know how many of you guys are at ISPs where you're
> transferring domains around a lot, but at what point did everybody decide
> that DNS servers don't really cache MX records? Once a domain has been
> transferred out, it can take up to a week for all the caching servers around
> the world to pick up the new MX records for the new ISP, so why do so many
> ISPs seem to just do the transfer and then instantaneously cut the account
> off leaving the customer with intermmitent / non-existent mail for up to a
> week?

What about having a secondary MX record for the ISP's (constantly
connected) customer's domain pointing to the ISP's server, only
for the customer to realize, when his firewall loses its mind (we
all love CheckPoint), that the said secondary server refuses to
deal with mail sent to that domain? Happened to some clients of
mine (nice guys, messed up network).

> Seriously though, either I'm more inexperienced than I thought, or the
> quality of admins out there is pretty bad.

It's the latter. I don't really know how experienced you are,
but after you see four machines on the same network doing the
same things running the same operating system on the same
hardware but with different packages installed, or machines where
BIND is installed but nslookup and DiG are not, or lots of
servers in the computer room all running X, you'll realize that
the average cluefullness of sysadmins these days is, indeed,
pretty low.

> It's got to the point where I've
> even considered writing a "best practise" manual for other admins to make my
> job easier.

And teach them how to read.

Vadik.

--
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into
superstition, and art into pedantry.  Hence University education.