著者: Yann Golanski
To: chrome
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] [Fwd: mail solution]
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 08:36:11PM +0000, chrome wrote:
> The open solution I have foremost in my mind is namely:
>
> Exim 3.20
> Courier IMAP/POP3 server with Maildirs

This is good. It'll work well.

> a) two Sun E3500 NFS Servers running Sun Cluster 2.2 or 3 for high
> availability. Gigabit ethernet for the NFS network, FCAL attached
> storage
> with a crapload of spindles and running Veritas.

Even better, get a RAM disk. They are quiet expensive, but worth the
buy as Exim is IO limited. Abut one 2 gig RAM disk will do the work of
4-5 machines.

> This would basically export /var/mail which would be a tree of
> Maildirs for each user mailbox that would be created by the MTA on the
> fly as needed. The format would probably be something along the lines
> of /var/mail/c/h/r/chrome/Maildir/. There would also need to be quota
> checks by the MTA to limit to 20MB.

You will have strange splits in your directories, with some being totaly
empty and others totaly full (z/z/z? s/e/x?). Better use nhash which was
designed just for that.

> Yes, at some point this is going to break, but I should be able to scale
> this up massively until it does. At least, thats the theory.

You can easly scale exim to cope with about 3 million users without too
many headackes. *grin*

> Has anyone on this list done anything remotely similar to this, and can
> tell me what their mileage is?

Just dd. You want more info, just mail specific questions...

--
                         www.kierun.org
Yann@???                                Use Pretty Good Privacy.