Re: [Exim] can't currently verify any sender in the header l…

Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Dave C.
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] can't currently verify any sender in the header lines
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 05:11:34PM -0500, Dave C. wrote:
> > I'm going to patch exim to do a MAIL FROM: <postmaster@???> instead.
>
> Ugh.. You are Waaaay too nice.. I would never let anyone get away with
> that....

kenny:~# wc -l /var/log/exim/rejectlog
123680 /var/log/exim/rejectlog

(that's in about 3 days)

People are going to notice eventually and when the CFO/CIO asks why he's not
been getting some of his mail and "I don't care about no stiking RFCs, just
make the damn mail work", all mail checking will have to be turned off.

For that matter, I've already had enlightened people like Ted T'so (major
linux developer for those who don't know him) complain because we bounced
confirmation Emails from web sites that had broken DNS/mail (one with travel
confirmation from linuxworld, and some other confirmation from Tivo.com).

Basically I'm walking a very fine line here. If I reject too much legitimate
mail (i.e. mail with bad headers that isn't spam), I will be eventually
forced to turn off all checking (that's until checking can be done at rcpt
to time, and be turned on and off on a per user basis).
Users believe that if hotmail receives the mail, so should we. What can I
say...

> > Would you consider making that an option for a future release?
>
> Definately default to the current behaviour, and the docs should have a
> STRONG recommendation not to change it..

I'm fine with that.
Basically, the way it is, I'll have to patch it, or turn it off, which I'd
rather not do. How people use it is those people's business :-D
The only thing that ticks me off is people who refuse all Email if the HELO
domain doesn't match the name linked to the reverse lookup of the IP you're
connecting from (Hello, NAT anyone!!!)

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key