Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Marc Haber
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:42:13 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
>> When a mail from outside comes in on A, and the primary MX for that
>> domain refuses the message, our postmaster gets the bounce.
>
>What I don't understand is why this happens. Why doesn't the bounce go
>back to the message's sender?

It goes back to the message's sender, and is copied to postmaster.
This is _generally_ a feature, but not for all cases.

I will probably implement a router that fails certain addresses (> 80
% of the annoying bounces are caused by about 15 addresses) on the
mail gate without actually trying to deliver them..

>> Is there a way to make exim trying immediately (after RCPT, but before
>> DATA of an incoming message) if the recipient's address is
>> deliverable, refusing the incoming mesage if not?
>
>The new callback verify stuff can do this.

This sounds nice. Are the results of the callback cached by exim in
some way, or is a new callback being done for each message coming in
for an address? If the address verifies, is the message delivered
through the connection opened for address verification, or is a new
connection used for that?

hosts listed in sender_verify_hosts_callback are hosts where incoming
mail is to be delivered to, or where mail is coming in from?

Greetings
Marc