Re: [Exim] Re: BUG: mailq doesn't behave as expected

Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: BUG: mailq doesn't behave as expected
Rusty Russell <rusty@???> probably said:
> That defeats the entire point. exim is failing to track ownership of
> my mail, because it's delivered via loopback TCP port 25.

exim can use ident information, if you have ident enabled. This is the
only way to "track" the remote user of mail submitted to the SMTP
port. There is no good way to do it.

> This flaw is real (I'm not arguing whose fault it is, MUA, MTA or

This "flaw" is you nitpicking, nothing else. No one else has ever
complained about this and most of us like it this way.

> Debian). Hence it needs to give *some* clue that you are not showing
> all the information. Even saying "there is mail in the queue that I'm
> not showing you because you're not admin" would be enough.

Why should it be there at all ? Why does it _need_ to give people clues ?
It gives the information the specification says it gives.

If people run a complicated system like a unix box and an MTA without
reading the documentation for that system then they cannot be helped.

> There are an increasing number of single user Unix boxen out there:
> adding this short message helps them a little bit.

and there are an increasing amount of people who don't RTFM.
We can't hand hold them all.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???