Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?

Página Inicial
Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?
[ On Monday, February 5, 2001 at 20:27:45 (+0100), Marc Haber wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?
>
> Type in first article's from Address. Send is Ctrl-S, not S Ctrl-S.
> duh.

? huh ?

> err, I was refering to the "no such user" kind of bounce, not to the
> "no spam here" kind.

same difference -- whether the user doesn't exist, or the mail was
"bounced" for other reasons matters not.

> Nevertheless, customers demand it. And for some other customers, we
> are only mailgate because the customers are clueful enough to not let
> an Exchange talk directly to the outside world.

"customers?"

If you're offering your downstream IP access customers a secondary MX
server, then you're getting everything you "deserve" :-)

"Doctor, Doctor! ... " "Don't do that!" :-)

Now on the othe hand if you're blocking direct connectivity to a
customer's mailer in order to protect it from the "Big Bad
Internet(tm)", or the customer is doing that of their own accord, then
you are, for *all* intents and purposes the primary MX and you should
make sure your mailer is advertised as such in the DNS and that it is
configured properly to deal with this scenario. You should never ever
advertise a primary MX that's unreachable from the Internet (it might
work, but it's enormously the wrong way to do things).

I.e. once you make that little leap of understanding I think you'll see
that it's quite easy to configure your mailer to ensure that all mail
accepted for your customers' domains is forwarded directly to your
customers' mailers, regardless of whether it's a bounce or not. If your
customers' mailers are returning bounces to you in that scenario then
*they* have a configuration error and you can stomp on their e-mail
service (i.e. cut it right off) until they agree to fix their
configuration errors, software, whatever.

Of course you could simply charge your customers appropriately for
handling their <postmaster> mailbox too.

Anything other than that and you do not want those customers as
customers because they're probably going to cost you more in support
overhead than you'll ever profit back from them. Send them packing to
your competitor(s) a.s.a.h.p.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>